Coordinating, Collaborating, and Connecting
Resources for Supporting Ukrainian Newcomers
Canada and many other countries have announced a series of measures in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. This webpage is a resource to help residents of the Grey Bruce region to support the Ukrainians coming to Canada in meaningful ways. We will update it regularly with new resources and reliable, accurate information as it becomes available.
We Stand in solidarity with Ukraine and Ukrainians in Grey Bruce
Everyone is watching with heavy hearts what is happening in Ukraine, some more personally affected with loved ones in the country or among the exodus of millions of people from Ukraine seeking refuge. What happens around the world impacts all of us here in Grey Bruce. Ukrainians have already begun to arrive in Canada and more will come. Some will arrive in Grey Bruce. We are working to get information on what the government measures mean in practice in terms of possible resettlement or settlement supports, income supports, etc., that Ukrainian families arriving in Canada may be entitled to.
Community Supports in Grey Bruce
There are various supports for Ukrainians who have and will be arriving in Grey Bruce.
- Grey Bruce Settlement and Language Services – YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce | Contact: Suneet Kukreja | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Welcoming Communities Grey Bruce | Email: email@example.com
- Arden Language Centre | Contact: Andy Foster | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grey Bruce Local Immigration Partnership | Contact: Dr. Deepikaa Gupta | Email: Deepikaa.Gupta@grey.ca | Contact: May Ip | Email: May.Ip@grey.ca
GBLIP has partnered with an organization, Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada (UADSC) to help create a support network across Grey and Bruce for Ukrainians families coming to Canada. To gain access to the host family list Dr. Deepikaa Gupta the GBLIP Coordinator at 1 519-372-0219 ext. 6108.
Relevant Local News and Initiatives
- A GoFundMe page has been created to raise money for the Ukrainian Village in Owen Sound. Funds raised will go towards the start-up and ongoing costs of the Ukrainian Village and assistance for the families. (read news article)
- GBLIP Resources Supporting Ukrainian Newcomers
- Facebook page: Ukrainian Village of Owen Sound
- Durham community meeting to gauge support to help Ukrainians
- Ukrainian Taskforce with South Port Church, Saugeen Shores | Contact: David Baker | Email: email@example.com
- Town of Blue Mountains (article reference) | Contact: Ryan Gibbons | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Website: www.thebluemountains.ca
- Local summer camps organized for Ukrainian kids fleeing war | Kincardine News
- Grey Highlands group helping pay for local Ukrainian relief work | Owen Sound Sun Times
- Saugeen Shores Group seeks host homes for Ukraine refugees| Bayshore Broadcasting
- Bringing Ukrainian Newcomers to Grey Bruce webinar by Welcoming Communities Grey Bruce
- Settlement services such as language training, orientation, employment assistance and other supports for Ukrainians as they settle into their new communities.
- Targeted charter flights to Canada for Ukrainians
- Short-term income support to ensure basic needs are met
- Temporary hotel accommodation for up to two week.
- For more information, see Government of Canada’s announcement here.
- Access to Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP).
- Access to publicly funded schools for children.
- Access to emergency income supports through this online application, a local Ontario Works office or by calling 905-546-4800.
- Dedicated employment hotline for job-seekers and employers: 1-888-562-4769
- For more information, visit Ontario Canada page.
- World Education Services (WES) is now offering credentials evaluation services to Ukrainians who don’t have documents to prove their education and skills.
- Red Cross has created a Welcome Package for Ukrainian arrivals. This document, available in English, French, Ukrainian and Russian languages, includes useful information and resources to help Ukrainians in their first few weeks of arrival.
- Canadian Ukrainian Immigrant Aid Society (CUIAS) is a non-profit community organization, providing settlement assistance to immigrants for over 30 years with the support of both the federal and provincial governments. A member organization of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress- National and of the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI), CUIAS offers services in in English, French, Ukrainian, Russian, Polish and Romanian languages.
- Miles4Migrants has partnered with the Canadian government, Air Canada, and the Shapiro Foundation to launch a national effort to help displaced Ukrainians begin rebuilding their lives in Canada.
- 4Ukraine.ca’s mission is to help 5,000+ displaced Ukrainians settle in Canada